[Dailydrool] Tank atb 6-2-10

JILL PETERSON jpx at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 2 19:58:34 PDT 2010

My pretty boy Tank.

You came to us from Kern County Animal Shelter. They had you listed as an older female basset. Your face looked a bit beagaly in the picture and it was difficult to tell if you had any basset in you at all. So,off to the shelter I went.

One look at you and it was obvious that you were not a basset, not even close. What you were was a train wreck. Long leggy legs, full of arthritis and several lumps, bumps and warts covering your body. I should have said I am sorry we cannot take another mix. I should have left you there. But, one look into your eyes, those very wise eyes that had seen much to much and I knew you would be GEBR's newest rescue.

We named you Nancy and off to the vet we went. While waiting for the vet to call us in you went to the bathroom. Wait a minet..........That was a boy stance not a girl........So after a quick check it was confirmed, you were a boy. So your name was changed to Tank. The news was not good at the vets. There were a few masses that were inoperable due to their position. So the plan was to keep you comfortable.

You were placed in a foster home and there began your education of the nicer things in life. Like those last few french frys, the last bite of steak, being allowed in the house and getting a soft bed to lay on..  And the biggie, not being hit or yelled at.

Unfortunately your foster home did not work out and so you came to stay with me. You got along with my pack and enjoyed yourself. Of course you and Clemmentine about drove me nuts bellaring at each other. :)

You began to loose weight and were not as steady as you usually were on you feet. I went out of town on Memorial Day weekend and took you and the rest of the geriatric set to vacation at the ranch. You went down while there. We thought it might have been due to your arthritis and the near snow conditions. You were started on prednisone and we waited, hoping you would soon be able to walk again. It was not to be.

while we will never know what caused you to go down....blown disc.....the cancer you most surely had.............a combination of the two....you were in pain and it was becoming harder for you to get around.

We went to see Dr. Stout this morning and he told me what I already knew, it was time for you to journey on to the bridge. As I held you in my arms you peacefully left this earth.

Thank you Tank or being a part of our lives for these past few months.

Till we meet again,
Jill and the hounds of GEBR......a special thanks to Dawn of the West for her loving care of Tank while he was at the ranch.