[Dailydrool] Poop question

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Sun Jun 6 08:13:47 PDT 2010

Sorry, but I didn't know what else to call this post!  Here's the story:  about 2 weeks ago, Annie ate a piece of bone that one of my moronic neighbors threw out under a tree (for the birds???)  After that, she started to have loose stool on and off.  I didn't think much of it for the first few days, and because it wasn't consistently loose.  However, when I saw a little blood in it, I stopped her regular food and put her on rice and baby food chicken.  It helped a little but not completely.  Over Memorial Day weekend, I didn't feed her for 24 hours, just gave her some Kaopectate on bread twice a day, then started her back on the rice and chicken.  She went normally for about 3 days, but that night, ate something on the grass (no idea what) and at 2am, woke me up to go out and...you guessed it, diarrhea again!  Fasted, kaopectate, still chicken and rice, and things went back to normal, but we went to the vet on Thursday anyway.  Of course she was fine by then.  The vet thought the bone could've caused it, but didn't know why it would last for so long.  In case the diarrhea came back, the vet sent me home with Metronidazole (which I've used on Fred when he's had two bad, acute attacks of diarrhea.)  Yesterday was day 5 of things being normal, and I was going to start adding back normal food today.  I heard Annie at about 4am, but went back to bed.  I heard her again at 6, and when I took her out...diarrhea again!  Last night I did give her some small pieces of the crust of a frozen pizza, so I don't know if that did it.

My question...has anyone ever dealt with anything like this before?  Other than the occasional loose stool, Annie seems FINE...no vomiting, no lethargy, no parasites (tested twice), no pain when the vet examined her, and no loss of appetite whatsoever.  She's always had a sensitive stomach, but I'm starting to get a little worried.  She's been on chicken and rice for a week and a half now, and this just keeps coming back, as soon as I think we're finally out of the woods and I can start giving her normal food again...

Rose, Annie (I like the baby food chicken, but I'm still hungry!) and Fred (I want chicken!)