[Dailydrool] Miss Angela potty trained easily

bjenk1 at cox.net bjenk1 at cox.net
Thu Jun 10 08:22:03 PDT 2010

Bill here, press agent/personal trainer to Miss Angela Basset,
Droop and Drool Diva of Wichita and Sedgwick County

Miss Angela wishes to assert (and I can substantiate) the ease
with which she potty trained.  She came to live and direct this
household when she was only 8 weeks old.  She spent her
indoor time in the kitchen (on an easy-clean surface) and
occasionally in a crate.  I purchased some pee pads at my local
grocery store.  They were always available in her crate and near
the back door, which is off the kitchen.

....narrative interrupted.  Angela is standing at the back door.....

Angela almost immediately used the pee pads exclusively as
her squat spot of choice.  Of course, it took her a while to get
the range, her front end being on the pad more often than her
hind end.  I also let her outside often and praised or rewarded
her lavishly when she "did her business" outside.  Soon, the
pee pads were moved just outside the back door.  By the time
she was three months old, she was nearly totally trustworthy.
She still goes to the door to let me know that she is to be let
out.  Only if I fail to react immediately does she make any
sound. Needless to say, she can be quite insistent.  She is
by no means an easy employer.

Of course I realize that Miss Angela is a truly exceptional
dog and that her training was, in large part, my training.  I
had to be very alert to her requests as they were not always
accompanied by any vocalizations.  She has been so reliable
that I am almost hesitant to discuss it for fear that I jinx things.

By the way, Miss Angela has a wide repertoire of tail wags.
She does the windshield wiper, the helicopter, the single
or double thump when reclining, and sometimes, the tip
quiver.  I haven't been able to see any pattern in her wags,
but then, I haven't studied it for any length of time.

And thunder doesn't scare her.  Only occasionally, she will
saunter over to sit at my feet or jump up into my chair to
make sure that I am all right with it.

Bill (You can't make this stuff up)
Angela (You could try making up my lunch)