[Dailydrool] Potty Training and Bassets with kids

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Thu Jun 10 08:10:09 PDT 2010

When I was thinking about getting a dog, I specifically did NOT want a puppy.  I work full-time, and didn't have the time to potty train.  I agreed to take Annie, who was coming directly from a puppymill in Arkansas where she had lived mainly outside or in a crate (from what I understand.)  The night before she arrived, my dad said, "Rose, if she's spent her life outside, she's probably not house-trained..."  Hmmm, never thought about that, but it was too late at that point!  Anyway, the next night I had not one, but TWO bassets who I had no real information about (since they'd never been in a foster home.)  Well, I totally lucked out!  Except for some peeing in a spot where my sister's dog had peed (which has not been an issue since I tore up the carpet) and pooping in the house if they are sick, my two are totally potty trained!!  No idea how that happened, except that they are the smartest dogs alive :)

As far as how they are with kids...Fred is great, and I have no worries with him around kids.  I try to keep Annie away from kids, because she's not crazy about people in general, and I just don't know how she'd react.  The other day, my 22 month old niece and nephew were over, and Fred loved it.  Annie, as usual, sat on the couch and growled.  My niece pointed at her and said, "Ca Ca" (their term for everything yucky.)  That's how I feel about Annie's growling too!!  From the mouths of babes... :)

Rose, Annie (I'll stop growling if you give me a cookie) and Fred (where's that carpet I liked to pee on???)