[Dailydrool] Morely report

Leslie Rich leslie-rich at comcast.net
Sun Jun 13 10:43:59 PDT 2010

Morely has been to see Dr Jeanette Kelly. Our local Cancer vet. It seems
that we have a complete animal cancer care hospital here in Santa Fe and
Albuquerque.... Their approach ­ QUALITY of life for the animal.... They are
wonderful. Dr Kelly won my approval immediately as she was onto the floor
giving Morely belly rubs before she even introduced herself to us ­ I, of
course, has 1 million and 6 questions the following day and they graciously
and patiently returned my calls and answered every question ­ at least
twice. I suspect they get a lot of questions form newbies like me.

She told us all the latest updates on malignant melanoma  and all the
possible approaches to treatment. We learned about a melanoma vaccine which
slows down the growth of the cancer into his lungs and heart. We also
learned that he will have very little to pain when the tumor gets into his
lungs. He will feel lethargic and appear flu like symptoms and maybe even
die peacefully in his sleep. Wouldn¹t that be wonderful!?! We are doing the
vaccine which is 1 treatment every other week for 4 weeks, then every 6
months. They have seen very good results with this approach. We are also
doing a localized chemo treatment in his mouth as the tumor has already
begun to grow back which we knew would probably happen. This is also done
every other week for 4 weeks. This is the area that Dr Kelly said would be
the most painful for him as the tumor grew into his jaw. They were totally
compliant with our wishes that nothing invasive ­ no surgery, no xrays -  no
nothing that will might lengthen his life but at what cost to his being.

He did pretty well ­ very tired and somewhat uncomfortable the second day
and each day since has been better. It¹s been really outrageously hot for
Santa Fe recently and I know the heat was also affecting hid general
malaise. So, the boy is eating three delicious meals a day. Denise has made
her super terrific chicken soup with garlic and tumeric for him. He¹s being
spoiled completely ­ if that¹s possible to spoil him even more than he was
already spoiled....

Thank you again to each of you who took the time to email me personally and
send such good thoughtd and wishes for him (and us). He¹s great, I¹m okay
and the rest of the family just keeps hanging in and on!

Leslie and Morely

Leslie Rich
Creative Wood Designs
Santa Fe, NM