[Dailydrool] Summer, heat and the worst case scenario

Heidi Sarver hsarver at me.com
Sun Jun 13 15:37:00 PDT 2010

Jumping on the heat lecture band wagon, and given how horribly hot it
has been these last couple weeks I supply you with a story of my first
basset, Walter.  I found the DD long after he left me and I'm not sure
I told his story--it suits the subject line to a "T."

(Please note, this is awful and you may not want to read on).

I got Walter when he was a little over of a year old.  I lost my baby
at the age of 22 months.  I lost him to summer heat.

I was teaching a workshop and a friend, a dog owner, someone I trusted
implicitly, said he would take care of Walter so I didn't have to
board him.  I figured "great--a money saver."  My friend owned a dog
and 2 cats and they were always happy and healthy.  This was the
perfect solution.

What I did not know was that my friend had to work that day---a full
work day of 10 hours.  He lived in Philadelphia, had a yard, and
didn't have air conditioning in his apartment.  It was the hottest day
in July that year; warnings were on tv all day to take care of the
elderly and the animals, etc.  And I'll never forget the day because
it was the same day JFK, Jr. died in his plane crash near Martha's
Vineyard.

You see, my friend merely tied his dog up to the tree, left water
bowls around the yard, and he dog was always perfectly happy.  His dog
was a shepherd/chow mix, not a basset.  So he tied Walter up on the
other tree and off he went to work.  I did not know any of this.  I
had dropped Walter off the night before and off I went to teach.

I got the worse phone call I ever received in my life at 6 PM.  Walter
had died of heat stroke.  You see, when Walter wanted attention, or
food, or anything, he would go into the kitchen and turn his water
bowl over, flooding the floor.  Walter wanted out of the heat so he
turned over all of the water bowls and buckets in the yard and barked
himself to death.

My friend was no longer my friend after that, in fact he was arrested
for animal cruelty when his neighbor called the police about a dead
dog in his yard.

I never knew what kind of basset Walter was going to be--he left far
to young.  But I do know that I learned the most lasting and
devastating lesson an animal lover can ever learn.  He did teach me
one other thing however: he taught me how much I love this breed.

So take care of you bassets everyone---don't ever live through what I
did.

--heidi, della, guinness and oscar the cats
--buford atb
--walter atb