[Dailydrool] Heat and doggies

AnitaW a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 13 20:29:07 PDT 2010

It's very hot here in Texas for at least 7 or 8 months of the year, and the
dogs love to walk, so we have learned to do several things.  We walk every
day, rain or shine, so that as the weather is heating up (usually starts in
late March, cools off in late October) all of us (including me) start
building up a tolerance for the heat.  And once it gets really hot we also
walk later in the evening so that the sun is not beating directly down on
our heads, you can't believe how much this helps.  And I always carry water
and bowls, we stop about halfway along the walk and they all have a drink
and a little rest.  We take shorter walks in the summer, too, especially
when the humidity is really high.   Gracie is the oldest and the biggest
(and she could stand to lose 3 or 4 pounds, too) so she feels the heat the
most, so we follow her lead and we don't get in a big hurry.  When she gives
me the look, we stop and get water and rest for a few minutes.   And we
zigzag from one side of the street to the other a lot, trying to stay in the
shade.  It's common sense stuff really, especially with the very young ones
and the old ones like mine.

Anita Woodrum

a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net