[Dailydrool] Dogs in hot cars

Pat Wood patshoundies at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 19:55:14 PDT 2010

living in Florida, we have at least 8-9 months of HOT weather.  Today, in
the shade on my back porch the thermometer read 101.....and the heat index
makes it feel like 110!  I'm reminded of an old song or poem my mother used
to tell us which said in part..."only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the
midday sun".....I suppose because in England it is not as hot?  anyway

I wanted to relay a tragic story after seeing where someone on the Drool
told about leaving their dogs in the car with the air conditioning running
full tilt with water dishes, etc.

In Miami area years ago, we heard about a family which parked at the blood
bank. Mom left the kids in the car with the air running and doors
locked...in the time it took her to complete her business at the blood bank,
when she returned to her car, all of her children were dead....one of them
had turned off the car  so no air conditioning and no air - no way to open
windows manually, and could not open the doors either. (I believe all the
children were under 5 years of age)  I believe it was 4 children.  While I
seriously doubt a dog could somehow move the key to the off position in a
car, some of these new cars are pushbutton ignitions and I KNOW my two
hounds operate the automatic windows without even thinking about it! or, for
some reason the car might stall...it could happen.

We even have some down here who love to ride with their dogs in the back of
their pickup trucks....usually chained.  It is so boiling hot on the bed of
that truck, and there have been some dead dogs in Florida from just being
out in the open in the back of the truck....

Please, you love them - they love you- don't put their lives in
jeopardy...leave the dogs at home!

Pat Wood
Hannah & Annabella ( yeah - we stay in da house all day ceptin running out
the doggie door to do da business and quick back in before our tongues drag
the ground from pantin')
Lady, Lily, NeHi, Samantha, Bubba & Ethel, Oliver ATB