[Dailydrool] Cooling and flea med

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Mon Jun 14 20:00:26 PDT 2010

Although some experts say one shouldn't clip or shave long-haired dogs
because the coat "insulates" them from the heat, I just don't believe
it. It keeps them warm in winter, but somehow it's supposed to keep them
cool in summer? Not happening. Most if not all really thick-haired dogs
are meant to live in cold areas year around and most short-haired dogs
originated in hot and/or desert climes. We always shaved our chow mix,
whose coat peeled off like a sheep being sheared. The only long-haired
dog we have now is a Shih Tzu, and she's kept clipped year 'round but
shorter still in the summertime. Believe me, she appreciates it.

On another note, we foolishly tried a new flea product today called
Tri-Force and although the 10 bigger dogs seem fine, the two little ones
(under 15 lbs.) both had bad reactions. We had to bathe them and
administer Benadryl and hours later they still are not totally right.
The vet said there was no antidote. All we could do was shampoo to get
as much off as possible and wait it out. We have never had problems
before with either Frontline or Advantage, so we most certainly will be
returning to them. Unfortunately, this may have made to two who reacted
more susceptible to reacting to other products. We shall see.

Riche