[Dailydrool] Raw Diets

Melissa Ruthenbeck-Chiaramonte mruthenbeckchiaramonte at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 21:15:22 PDT 2010

I was wondering if any of you feed BARF or other raw diets to your hounds or
if any of the vets on the board have any opinions on this. I know most vets
who practice Western medicine are against it and many holistic vets
recommend the raw diet. I currently feed my two hounds home cooked diets
with a lot of variety and also use a supplement designed for home cooked
foods. They are doing great on this food and it has been a huge improvement
from their days on kibble, even though it was always high quality. I have
been reading about the supposed benefits of feeding raw but can't find a lot
of scientific studies. My vet said she has a lot of patients who do great on
it but she is worried about the risk on bacteria. Many people who feed raw
say for healthy animals the bacteria won't be a problem. I would like to
hear any experiences you have with this.

Melissa, Tabasco and Dharma, Shelby (ATB)