[Dailydrool] boarding--doggie day day care or kenneling

Georgia Powers georgiapowers at comcast.net
Tue Jun 15 10:11:37 PDT 2010

Hi-- we are going away for 12 days in late June and I am obsessing
about where to board Eugene. We have left him a few times at a local
doggie day care where he is out freely playing all day and then just
kenneled at night. He loves being around other dogs, but the last time
he was there for an extended stay, he did come back with a little
stomach virus that cost me $300 plus in vet bills ( granted, I could
have just let him work it through his system, but I'm always one to
run to the vet.) All dogs at the day care need to be current on
vaccinations as well as have a negative fecal, but as our vet said,
sometimes they just pick stuff up, just like a human day care.

I have been having second thoughts about boarding him there this
summer because I worry about the heat and him overexerting himself,
although I think the place is well run and has been in business now
for about 4 years and has many regular clients . My other alternative
would be a conventional kennel--I hate thinking about him just sitting
in a run, but I feel the potential for overexertion and possibly
picking something up would be less. My daughters want to just take him
with us, but since we are going to Greece, I don't think that is an
option!!!   So--kennel or free play day care--that's my choice. Would
love to hear any opinions/suggestions.  Thanks!!!! Georgia and Eugene.