[Dailydrool] Young Charlie is inexplicably himself again

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Tue Jun 15 10:53:49 PDT 2010

Young Charlie is back to normal again. I don't know how or why it
happened, but that's what's happened as of late last week. I walk in
the door now, and he's back to running to get a toy out of his basket
to bring to me. I sit at the table after dinner with Ken, and he's
back to either hanging out in the same room with us or asking to be
picked up and held on my lap. Last night he wanted to have his tennis
ball bounced so he could practice catching it. As I write this, he's
back to sleeping on his half of our desk instead of being in the bed
across the room from me. He's back to being engaged with life and
with us. No more plodding through the day or spending most of the day
asleep on a bed and limiting his interactions with everyone. He
hasn't done anything naughty yet, but I'm okay with that because he's
clearly back "with" us again in every other way. His ears go up, his
eyes are mischievous, and he's back to doing his little dance (rear
end and head swing to the left, give a cheesy grin, swing to the
right and grin, then do it again) when he wants attention.

Yesterday and today I took Charlie to the vet to have his urine
retested. This is the second test the vet wanted to repeat because of
funny results. Because it's an hour round-trip drive, I wish I'd been
asked to come in to have the retests done on the same day. But it was
just my luck that our very first appointment was scheduled for
immediately before our vet went away on a short holiday. So the
covering vet was concerned about the low glucose levels but not the
"junk" in Charlie's urine, and our vet, when he returned, was
concerned about both. Two vets calling me at two different times
meant two different trips for retesting. So it goes.

Yesterday's urine retest, which the vet said he'd do with a needle
stick in Charlie's bladder to ensure a clean catch, didn't happen. No
one told me Charlie should come in with a full bladder, so we got
sent home and told to come back the next day. Very puzzling. A vet
can find a vein that's less than a quarter of an inch thick in a
dog's leg or neck, but can't find a bladder unless it's full? It
seems to me that a bladder has a lot more surface area to hit than a
vein, especially a crooked basset vein. And little boy dogs always
have something in their bladders. They never completely empty them.

But apparently the vet needs a full bladder, so I brought in a fully
loaded one this morning. I got Charlie out of his crate at 7:00am,
immediately carried him out to the car, arrived at the vet's five
minutes after opening, and carried Charlie in. He didn't have a
chance to sniff anything, let alone lose his load along the way. I
told the staff that he hadn't peed or pooped at all that morning, and
they told me they couldn't find his chart. Great. So then I told them
that if he lost his load before they found his chart, I wasn't going
to keep on driving him back and forth for this test; he could stay
with them while he reloaded, and I'd pick him up after they got their
sample.

Fortunately, it didn't come to that. They finally found the chart,
and Charlie proved he does indeed have the muscles necessary for
really, really holding it. This time the vet kept Charlie in the
examining room and did the draw there instead of whisking him off to
the back room where bad things happen. As soon as the vet and the
tech began to restrain him, Charlie started screeching and writhing.
He hadn't even seen the syringe yet. It was a little discouraging
because we'd had a talk in the car on our way there in which I told
Charlie what was going to happen, that it might hurt a little, and
that it'd be over a whole lot more quickly and probably hurt a whole
lot less if he held very still while it was happening. In one big
basset ear and out the other. I was given Charlie's head/snout to
hold while the tech pinned his upper body to the table and the vet
got the bucking rear end. Charlie's chin turned red, his tongue
turned purple, and he instantly shed about half his coat as he
hyperventilated and cried his way through what could have been a very
short procedure with a different dog.

Once again the vet made a comment about temper tantrums, and once
again I thought that wasn't a very sympathetic or understanding thing
to say. When you think something's going to hurt and you're scared,
of course you're going to fight it. In the last couple of weeks
Charlie's experienced two blood draws and now this urine draw. He's
got a pretty good idea now that whenever someone in scrubs tries to
restrain him he's not going to like what happens next, and why stick
around for something you don't like? I think young Charlie deserves a
lot of credit for merely struggling to get away and vocalizing his
fear. He could be removing fingers instead.

Anyway, the vet did everything possible to today's urine draw but
culture it. He said it was super-clean. No crystals, no blood, no
sediment, no bacteria. Nothing to warrant culturing it. Nothing to
warrant going on antibiotics either, so I'm glad we didn't do that
last week when the option was offered. He thinks that the last urine
sample had so much junk in it from exiting Charlie's body. Which now
has me wondering, why, if we know that having a dog do the equivalent
of pee in a cup is going to result in a contaminated catch, why don't
we just do bladder draws in the first place? The next time the vet
wants to test Charlie's urine for anything, I'm going to insist on a
bladder draw and save myself the time and expense of having to repeat
the test and Charlie the upset of a repeat visit. The bladder draw
costs no more than the pee-in-a-cup procedure, and the catch is
infinitely better.

I learned today that the thyroid test results are finally in, and
they don't indicate underactive thyroid. Apparently Charlie's T3
levels are only half a point to a point below normal and his T4
levels are about the same only above normal. Considering that
thyroids levels fluctuate all the time and Charlie's coat, weight,
appetite, and mood are all fine, well, those results just don't say
underactive thyroid.

So, we don't know why Charlie lost his sparkle for almost a month or
what caused him to get it back again. I was blaming this stinking
hot, humid, and thoroughly miserable weather we've been enduring
since the beginning of the month, but it's still stinking hot and
Charlie's back to normal. Maybe he had a bug? Maybe he was just out
of sorts? It's a real mystery. I hope, though, that whatever it was
is gone for good. Young Charlie thanks everyone for the drool and
says it should be redirected toward hounds who really need it. We
hope those hounds feel better soon.

Elizabeth