[Dailydrool] I've Been Rather Quiet Of Late, But This Subject ....

laumag at mts.net laumag at mts.net
Wed Jun 16 08:56:15 PDT 2010

... always interests me.

Anthony wrote:

> I feed my dogs California Natural and have since they came to live with me.
> There seems to be som controversy concerning it being acquired by P&G. What's
> the problem? If it is any good anymore anyone have any suggestions on a
> replacement? I already tried Blue Buffalo and they didn't like the black
> kernels. I had them all over my kitchen.

Before everyone goes out to find an alternative dog food, because of a corporate change in ownership, let me stress that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I used to work in a pet supply store and learned a font of information about product.

Customers used to come in and ask me what they should change their dog food to, and I used to ask them why they wanted to change the dog food. Most of the time, the responses were that their dogs needed variety.

Nope.

Dogs can eat the same thing day in and day out. If there is no problem with their general health, switching dog foods can do more harm than good. I learned this lesson the hard way. Prince Oliver (ATB) was plagued by skin issues and weight issues and back issues and so on. He ate a brand of dog food that back then was supposed to be one of the better ones. So, Mooseketeer Ben (ATB), his son, ate the same and was also plagued with issues. If I had known then what I know now, I am convinced that both Oliver and Ben would have lived longer with less health issues. I am testing my theory on Zack and Sky at the moment.

Also, just for everyone's knowledge, the vast majority of all North American made dog foods are actually manufactured by only four factories. Two are located in Canada and two are located in the United States.

So, if California Natural is working for you, then, forget about switching until there is a real need to do so.

I hope this has been helpful.

Laurie and Zack, who eats Canidae Lamb and Rice and, Sky, who eats Solid Gold Hundenflocken. I tried switching them ... big mistake.