[Dailydrool] Food Aggression

Vikki Kiehl vkiehl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 10:25:47 PDT 2010

Along with various other aggressions, Spencer has food aggression.  His is
toward anyone/person/thing/dog that looks at him while he eats.  I can't
tell you how many times I got bit over that!  I placed a 2ft divider in the
doorway between the kitchen & the hallway.  Spencer eats on one side of the
divider & Sara & Hal on the other.  After everyone is finished, I play the
clicker game with them.  That's also helped him with his food aggression.
When I first got Spencer, I was told he had food aggression, I would give
him his bowl of food, then put a meatball of canned or homemade food in my
hand & hold it toward his bowl.  When he started to get upset I opened my
hand & showed him the meatball.  As he's totally driven by food, he'd take
the meatball.  Slowly he learned that my hand next to his bowl was ok.  I
let him lick my hand clean while I take his empty bowl away, (he guarded
that too).
Lastly, because he had IBD (& we didn't know it) he was always trying to
soothe his GI tract with anything he could find.  This also manifested as
part of his food aggression... I envy those of you with easy dogs!  But... I
still wouldn't trade him, (well, ok, there are days I would!).
vikki
spencer, sara sue, hal e bear
sebastian atb, natasha atb