[Dailydrool] Shelter Votes.... GGBR thanks you!!

Adelaide Dawes addydawes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 16:21:48 PDT 2010

Great going so far people!!  We're up to 1265 from in the 6000s when we
started yesterday morning!  I already vote from two computers so I'll try
clearing my cookies and voting again from them both... must be worth a shot.

Golden Gate Basset Rescue is absolutely inundated with dogs at the moment.
We're going to be taking in at least as many bassets as we did last year,
and last year we got the '61 in one day' intake...  It brings it's own
problems.  The more successful we are, the more dogs get surrendered and the
more adopters step up to take those dogs.  Problem is that adoption apps are
slower than usual - probably the economy and the fact that it's summer and
people say 'I'll wait until I get back from vacation'!

A few days ago we took in an owner surrender - a sweet looking nearly 7 yr
old female.  We had photos and she looked a little thin, but otherwise very
nice.  Our foster coordinator, Cindy Marsh, and her friend went to pick her
up.  Apparently the owners apartment was filthy and disgusting and the dog
reeked... they stopped at a dog wash on the way home.. as soon as the water
hit it ran red and MILLIONS of fleas started appearing.  They washed her
four times in flea bath and then in shampoo to get the fleas off and the
dirt out.  Next stop was her vet clinic.  They took one look at the cell
phone photos and agreed to see Mame even though they were about to close.
They gave her a Capstar, and took blood (yes, she was terribly anemic) and
otherwise made her more comfortable.  The only bright side is that the owner
will now be finding out just what it feels like to be bitten by millions of
fleas... as they don't have poor Mame to suck the blood out of.  She's going
to take a few weeks to recover, but is adjusting to life the way it should
be for a basset!

Thanks for voting for us Droolers!  We NEED your votes!!

Addy

--
Addy Dawes
Secretary