[Dailydrool] addison's

Laura Kessler ldkessler at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 24 08:04:29 PDT 2010

Our Maggie Moo had her first episode with Addison's after she lost sight in her 2nd eye to glaucoma and our Charlie passed away. (all in the same week...bad week in our house) This was when she was about 5 years old. We didn't know why she stopped eating and wouldn't get up. It was a progression over about 5-7 days. She didn't appear to have any pain. She just stopped living. Our vet suspected addison's and did the test. She had lost 17 pounds in 2 weeks!!! They gave her a shot of the Percortin (sp?) at the vet's office and a high daily dose of prednisone. She got better pretty quickly, but she was close to being too far gone by the time we got it figured out...it was very scary. They gradually reduced the dose of pred down to 2 1/2 mg. per day. (this took about a year) But we give her 1 dose of Percortin every 30 days at home to hold down the cost. She had some ill effects from the pred when the dose was very high, but as the dosage dropped, she was
 fine again.
She is 8 now and has had only a few episodes since we started the meds. We caught them and increased her pred dose temporarily. That took care of it. But her symptoms have never included pain. They are more behavior related such as lethargy, licking everything in sight or shaking.  We don't always know what will cause an episode. But we've learned what her reaction is, so we treat it. So far, so good.
Hope this helps.  Healing drool to you and your Gracie!!

Our hounds are rescue hounds, as well...they bring us so much joy...

Laura, Moo & Co.
Maggie Moo, Flash, WTB Murphy the Golden, and our loves already ATB Ella Fitzgerald, Sir Charles of Barkalot, our original WTB...Gunner, and now Callie O'Malley

Live Life Large....Love a Basset Hound!!