[Dailydrool] basset obedience training

dcullrich at sbcglobal.net dcullrich at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 3 14:20:44 PST 2010

I just have to tell my training story. Suzi and I attended a puppy kindergarten class so she was under 6 months old.  The task at hand was to have the puppies jump over a bar set up on 2 sticks.  All of the puppies in our group happily jumped over the stick which was set up on the lowest height.  It was now Suzi's turn, and the trainer asked me if she would be able to jump over this 3 inch high stick - I said 'of course, she is able to jump up on our couch, go up and down our stairs - this should be no problem'.  So, I take her leash and walk over the stick, and Suzi proceeds to not even attempt to jump, she just knocks it off it's posts and looks at me like ' That was fun mom, why did those other dogs jump over this??  Just knock it down!'  I laughed knowing that she was being funny and very capable of jumping over but the trainer (obviously not a basset owner) was all worried that Suzi would be upset and set the stick on the floor for us to
 walk over.  7 years later and she is trained pretty well for a spoiled rotten hound - she never really learned how to lay down on demand this being my fault since I really didn't see the point she is almost the same height laying, sitting or standing!  Best of luck to all that are training buppies!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/999283