[Dailydrool] basset obedience training

Dan Hickey d_hickey at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 4 17:49:06 PST 2010

"she never really learned how to lay down on demand this being my fault
since I really didn't see the point she is almost the same height laying,
sitting or standing!?"

Diamond and I are working on our CDX. One of the exercises is a drop on
recall. He must down while coming toward me and then resume, all on command.
The instructor and I are always arguing. "He's NOT down." "He IS down."
"It's a sit!" "No, it's a down." It is often hard to tell.

In puppy obedience class the down was very difficult. With his head at
vacuum cleaner height to begin with why should he be on his belly to pick up
the treat. We do have some unique challenges with bassets. They are way too
smart.

Dan Hickey