[Dailydrool] Marcie the active buppy

AnitaW a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 7 23:14:44 PST 2010

Debra, the first thing that I thought after reading your post is that Marcie
is still a puppy, and all puppies are very, very active -- they're all wild
things at that age.  It also sounds like she's really well behaved for a
youngster, which makes me think that she will be a very good dog as an
adult.   Is there a dog park in your area where you could take her once in a
while so that she could run and play with other dogs?  Is there an
affordable doggie day care close that you could take her to one day a week?
Another idea, how about offering to doggie-sit a friend's or neighbor's dog
one day a week while the owner-slave is at work?

The thing that concerns me about giving her up to a family with kids is that
if the kids are like most that I know, they will love the dog but not spend
much time playing with her.  In my neighborhood there are plenty of families
with kids and dogs, and in most cases the dogs are left home alone all day
while everyone is at work and school, and then the dogs are out in the back
yard by themselves most evenings, too.  Very few of the neighborhood dogs
ever get walked, and almost none of the neighborhood kids go outside, let
alone go out and play with the dog.  Marcie is used to being walked every
day and having a lot of attention, would she actually get more attention in
a family setting?  I doubt it.  When you think about work and school and
soccer practice and t-ball and all the activities that kids participate in
today, there's very little time left to spend with the dog.

It sounds like you love her, spend a lot of time with her and do a lot for
her, and it doesn't sound like she's unhappy, just full of puppy energy.
It's your decision of course, but if you re-home her she could easily end up
in a family situation where she spends most days home alone, and actually
gets a lot less attention and love than she gets now from you.  Just my two
cents.

Anita Woodrum

a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net