[Dailydrool] Neutering question

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Tue Mar 9 13:35:29 PST 2010

I've been going through files today and discovered the receipt for
young Charlie's neutering. He was neutered right at four months old.
Is this a little young for a puppy and/or a basset, or is four months
the right age? I think I've heard somewhere that early neutering
causes growth plates to close prematurely which results in crooked
bones. Could being neutered at four months be the reason Charlie's
front legs and feet are so misshapen? Not that there's much we can do
about it now, but I'm curious about it.

Elizabeth