[Dailydrool] Sterilization of immature dogs

Dan Hickey d_hickey at ca.rr.com
Wed Mar 10 12:44:43 PST 2010

While it is not possible to point at a particular dog with a growth defect
and KNOW the root cause e.g. heredity, pre or post natal environment or
sterilization, we usually try to avoid tempting fate. "If it ain't broke,
don't fix it."

Evidence suggests we are over vaccinating our dogs. Many reasonable owners
don't want to risk the possible side effects and complications that might
arise each time we vaccinate an animal so they go on an extended vaccination
schedule.

Evidence also suggests early spay/neuter can do harm to a dog. Important
hormones that nature thought necessary for a dog's growth into adulthood
just aren't there when needed. Please take a look at this paper from the
NAIA. It has lots of citations for real research into the subject.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

I know I'll get lots of heat for this, but responsible dog owners CAN
prevent unwanted pregnancies in their dogs until they are 1 year old, a time
when most significant bone growth has occurred. I think most Droolers fall
into the responsible dog owner category. If you don't intend to show or
breed the dog then, by all means, neuter him/her, but let the dog grow up
first.

Dan Hickey