[Dailydrool] yearly check ups, etc.

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 06:24:29 PDT 2010

Just wanted to tell my recent experience incase it helps anyone out.  I am
usually a very organized person. Somehow in cleaning out my bulletin boards,
I threw away a list I keep of when the bassets and doxies are due for shots,
check ups, licenses, etc.  My vet sends out postcards to tell us when they
are due though so no big deal, right? WRONG. Things apparently get lost in
the mail even though we live right on the same road and I have been in the
office multiple times this year with ill dogs. He has new people working
there and my folder is thicker from having fostered in the past for ABC so
it could have been overlooked or sent out.  Anyhow, I pull out my green file
folder of all the 5 dogs records. Maggie, our 10 year 4 month old, senior
basset hound is expired on her rabies, her lyme, her dhlp-p, her
license--everything!  I am livid. Then, I remember that the dept. of ag. has
messed up her license and send me two different licenses, one that expires
in July and one that expires in May. Well, seeing how we moved here in July
that is the one that I go off of. Dept of ag has me down as having a basset
named Freddie too that I don't have. I have tried to straighten that out
many times also. Anyhow, I would give the advice to make a list of when all
of your bassets, K9's, and any other animal that you take to the vet is due
for rabies, license, and whatever other vaccinations you choose to give and
heart worm exams and put it in full view. Then, highlight what is due this
year and put the date beside it. I would be devastated if Maggie got loose
and was found to be unlicensed, rabies vaccination out of date, and have her
kept from us for this. I called the vet immediately and made an appt for the
19th. I know Maggie probably has all these vaccinations still in her from
receiving them throughout the years, but  It is against the law here to not
have a current rabies vaccination and a licensed dog. We live in the city.
Then, I figure out that I never licensed Cooper, our almost 2 year old mini
doxie. (Bang head on table). I look for his neuter certificate. Missing. I
need to request that from the vet and get him licensed this week. Jeesh, I
need to get my head on straight. Hope this helps someone in the future
learning from my mistake.

--
DRool to all in need,
Dee,