[Dailydrool] Treats and meals

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu Mar 18 08:29:59 PDT 2010

<<Does anyone else have a hound that refuses to eat a meal until a treat is
given first? The treat is not always consumed prior to the meal but he has
got to have it in his dish before he will eat.>>

Our Jane doesn't exactly demand a treat, but she does demand something
special with her meal. She began refusing to eat plain kibble a couple of
years ago. Now we have to give her a toppping of a mixture of boiled, then
ground up chicken and veggies and broth (don't tell her, but I sometimes use
plain water instead). If we just try to put broth on her food, she won't eat
much. She still does this, despite the fact that we changed to a new food
that she absolutely adored for the first five-pound bag. Once that was
finished, she began demanding her treat again.

Bel eats the food with relish, no problem, but Drew usually feeds him
whatever Jane is getting. Abner eats anything, including his kibble with a
bit of yogurt on top, without a bit of complaint--his hypothyroid makes him
always hungry..

Bassets know what they want in the way of food, and you can't stop them.
Fighting is useless.
Pam, food slave, quite literally, to the Dashing Bassets