[Dailydrool] raw spot in/on dewlap

Sue Stevens onslowbasset at att.net
Sat Mar 20 18:52:08 PDT 2010

It's been quite some time since I've been on the Drool - or posted.
My condolences to those who have lost houndies recently - and prayers
for health for those who are suffering.

Our Onslow is enjoying the warm breath of spring here in Ohio.... but
that also means his seasonal allergies are kicking in. Since he was
full grown, Onslow has had something of a bald/raw spot in/on his
dewlap (the folds of his neck) but this spring it's particularly
nasty. We will probably need to take him into the vet because I
suspect it is infected and he'll need to be on an antibiotic  again
as he has in the past for his groin area when his allergies get bad.

Today I have swabbed it twice today with diluted hydrogen peroxide
(1/2 water) and it seems a bit better this evening. I know this is a
typical basset hound complaint. What recommendations and advice can
our fellow Droolers give us?

thanks in advance for your advice!!

Sue & Brian Stevens
and Onslow ("my neck kinda itches... why won't you let me scratch it?")