[Dailydrool] Sleep Howling

Mary Lee Trnka mltrnka at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 22 21:16:36 PDT 2010

Philby is our rescue boy.  He was between 3 and 4 years old when we got him almost 3 years ago.  He's a very quiet boy, and hardly ever barks.  When our old man Tucker, would howl, Philby would look at him very oddly.  It seemed he had no idea how to make that sound.

Then one night, when we were all dead asleep - ARROOOOOOOO!  Like Momperson, I jumped up, heart racing and turned on the lamp.  There was Philby, still sleeping - he hadn't even moved.  (I was awake for a little bit after that, too.)

Sometime after that, Philby finally learned to bay while he was awake.  I was playing with Tucker, trying to get him to howl, when this deep, deep sound - a cross between a seal bark and a cow moo - came out of his pursed lips.  The picture plus the sound were funny beyond words!

Mary Lee