[Dailydrool] Addison's Disease or something else?

Krutsinger,DeAnn krutsingd at waldorf.edu
Tue Mar 23 14:29:52 PDT 2010

Hello everyone!

First and foremost, Drool to all of those in need and extra special
drool to those that have recently lost their beloved friends.

I am looking for some advice or suggestions regarding our Gracie Mae.
About three weeks ago our Gracie appeared to be a bit under the weather
and so we began to watch her closely.  Within two days of that she had
stopped eating completely.  She was very lethargic refusing to get up
most of the time and only getting up to potty.  She stayed in one room
for several days never bothering to relocated (this is very unlike her).
As it became more obvious that this was not just a 'little feeling under
the weather' we got her into the vet and they did the routine blood
work, etc.  Her blood work was 'inconclusive' but her white blood cell
count was about 5000 higher than it should have been.  So we did a week
of antibiotics and a cortisone shot because she appeared to have trouble
walking.  The vet's 'best guess' was that she might have Addison's
disease and he said she would bounce back for a few days and then
backslide again it if was Addison's.  Well she definitely bounced back
and then definitely back slid again.   She went in again a week later
because 1) she wasn't eating again and 2) she wasn't moving her bowels.
They kept her overnight thinking that she might have a blockage and they
gave her a couple of enema's and some laxatives.  Things began moving
along rather well in short order and she began to eat again so she came
home the next day.  She is on a daily dose of Prednisone for 15 days to
see if this treats her symptoms.  For the most part it has been.  Her
appetite has returned but she seems to have a significant amount of
weakness in her hind legs.   The weakness has never really improved,
although her temperament and personality have returned she still doesn't
move around much, has a tendency to bark from a laying position rather
than getting up, has trouble going up the two steps that we have in our
house, etc.  She also gets 'body tremors' or trembling and sometimes
makes these real soft coughs, almost like a snort but its through the
mouth.

I am wondering for those of you with Addison's dogs, does this sound the
same?  The vet said that the preferred method of treatment would be a
cortisone shot every three weeks but for now the Prednisone pills are
more cost effective.  She hasn't had the Addison's test run yet due to
the added expense.  Are there other illnesses that could fit these
symptoms.  I know that I have read in other posts that some of you have
dogs that have weak back legs, what other reasons could there be for
this?   Please don't think badly of us for not running all of the tests
right away, we have had unusually high medical expenses (for people)
this year and are trying to be conservative and get those bills paid
off.

Also, because Gracie Mae is a rescue dog we really don't know her age.
The youngest should could be is 9 and I suppose she could be as old as
12 or so.

Any information or suggestions that you have to offer would be greatly
appreciated.

DeAnn M. Krutsinger

Asst. Director of Financial Aid

Waldorf College

641-585-8122

Live Purple ~ Go Green

"...Happiness is the choice of living every moment with love, grace and
gratitude."