[Dailydrool] Basset Health

Lilie Basset Liliebasset at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 14:38:06 PDT 2010

Hi Maureen,

The reason you read about Basset illnesses on the Drool is because the
postings actually cover a large number of dogs.  Many of them are getting up
in years and are getting illnesses just as adults do.  Some of them have
problems just as human young adults do - it's just that they are all in one
lump group and it can seem rather overwhelming sometimes.

Keep a file of the various problems, solutions, discussions that might come
in handy someday and don't worry.  I spent years giving Lilie (age 7) daily
body checks which I tried to disguise as a massage...I think she knew the
difference.  She's never been ill.  Daffodil (2) has never been ill, but I
had insurance on her until recently because of her tendency to eat
everything that was in front of her - food or not.  She's growing out of
that so I cancelled the insurance.

Enjoy your basset boy.  He may live to a ripe old age and never have any
problems.  Don't look for trouble, but if some comes, you know where to ask
about it.  Oh, a basset hound is a lap dog.  Just sit down and give him the
opportunity.  He'll be happy to take over your lap!

Katie, Lilie and Daffodil