[Dailydrool] Rapid breathing after vomit attempt

CANDY DUSEK lovebassets at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 30 11:01:34 PDT 2010

I am wondering if any of you have experienced anything like this.  Higgins was attempting to vomit in my bed this morning at 4 a.m. and I tried to keep a towel under his mouth.  He was tossing his head around trying not to vomit on the towel.  He never did finally vomit, but he then began to have rapid breathing afterwards.  I finally called the vet clinic at 5:30 a.m. (we don't have an emergency vet in town).

I was worried that he had somehow inhaled the vomit and had it in his lungs or that he was bloating, although his stomach was not distended.  She took x-rays and said his stomach was not bloating.  She also took his blood.  He is now at the clinic being "watched".  They were going to give him pepsid and an IV to hydrate him, as his red blood cells were high.  The x-ray showed a rather large dark spot in his stomach that the vet told me is gas that will come out one end or the other.  He did vomit up a rolaid I had given him and then he vomited up blood-tinged mucous (both at the vet clinic).  She plans on possibly giving him a chest xray sometime today.

My regular vet is not in, and I am not confident with the one looking at him, although I hope she is consulting the more experienced vets.  She told me bassets weren't prone to bloating!  When I asked her to listen to see if his stomach was gurgling, she asked me how.  I told her to hold the stethoscope over his stomach and listen. She told me she heard expected digestive sounds. (I had read that the stomach doesn't gurgle during a bloat).  She could not find a vein for blood, so the tech tried and got it on the first try. Anyway, he apparently isn't bloating, but I when I called to check on him at 11 a.m. the office girl told me he is doing about the same (whatever that means!).

I am so nervous.

Candy Dusek
Maggie Mae www.dogster.com/dogs/166615
C. Higgins www.dogster.com/dogs/923059