[Dailydrool] Rapid breathing after vomit attempt - Bloat Risks

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Wed Mar 31 02:46:27 PDT 2010

Yeah.. Its funny how Bassets aren't regarded as lots of things.. they aren't
"large breed" and they aren't high risk for bloat.... RIGHT... ;-)

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1571
<http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1571&aid=402> &aid=402
Or TinyURL form: http://tinyurl.com/bloatchart

What I'd do.. is go back in ... and ask to see this vetman .. print out the
pages (especially the chart) and highlight basset hound .... explain that
your confidence is shaken because it seems they don't have as strong a
concern that bassets *could* bloat ...

I mean really.. if you look at the numbers in the chart.. it may make more
of their point .. only 6x higher chance at bloat than a mutt ... but still
its not unheard of, and bassets in that list are *THE* shortest "Large
Breed" dog listed.. and are in the top 10!!

That list, from shepherd to great dane, all those breeds tower over a basset
... its the shortness of a hound that seems to throw inexperienced vets (at
least that's my opinion, your mileage may vary)

-Robert

PS. or tell me your vet office's name ... I'm a fax transmission away from
cyber smacking them... O:-)

  _____

Subject: [Dailydrool] Rapid breathing after vomit attempt

My regular vet is not in, and I am not confident with the one looking at
him, although I hope she is consulting the more experienced vets.  She told
me bassets weren't prone to bloating!