[Dailydrool] Help

Alice dognpony at ptd.net
Wed Mar 31 17:37:58 PDT 2010

I have a basset, or maybe four, from a puppy mill.  I do have Harley Chick's
history, but not the other three.

Harley Chick started life in South Dakota, then came to a pet store in a
mall in NJ.  My boss and his then wife bought her.  When they did, I said
"Of all the breeds, why a basset?  They drool, they smell, they don't
listen."  Five months later my lab died and Harley came to live with me.
Boss got 2 Rottwilers instead.

I don't know the history or breeding of the other three.  Fred is dog
aggressive.  Miss Harley Puppy is an energizer bunny whose former owner
wanted her put down at 5 months because of kennel cough.  Molly was left
with a neighbor when her owners moved, and never returned for her.  Molly is
what non basset people think as normal basset.  A not too bright, slow
moving speed bump, but the one closest to the breed standard.

Harley Chick will be 10 in December and Fred is about the same.  Puppy and
Molly are about 4.  I am blessed that they are all in good health.  I have a
"dog food guru" who helps keep them that way.  My hounds do very well on a
high protein, corn and wheat free diet.

I'm glad you posted about changing your thinking regarding pet store dogs.
Don't worry, no one can tell the future.  Enjoy your puppy and when you are
ready for a second basset, consider a rescue.  Bassets do better in packs,
you know.

Good luck!

The Jersey Girls plus two
Alice
PW Harley Chick, RN CGC; Fred RN CGC; Miss Harley Puppy, CGC; Molly
Bulldozer;
Annie & Scotch, the horses; Charley, the parrot