[Dailydrool] Green beans question

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Mon May 3 14:54:12 PDT 2010

I use frozen green beans for our Abner--they are lower in salt than the
canned kind. I simply microwave them, then toss them in a strainer and rinse
with cold water to cool them off. You don't need expensive brands, the store
brand makes him perfectly happy.

But if you can get butternut squash, that would do to replace the pumpkin.
People use it to replace the pumpkin for pies sometimes. And somehow the
squash is available for longer than pumpkins. I've recently seen it at the
veggie store.

You can cut the squash in half or into quarters (a Chinese cleaver is the
best thing I've found to do that, but a large chef's knife will do it too),
put the squash in the microwave in a dish with a half-inch to inch of water
and cook until it is soft, turning once. When it is fully cooked, scrape it
out of the skin and mash it. You can freeze any extra, if you've made a
really large squash.
Chef Pam, who frequently cooks  for the Dashing Bassets