[Dailydrool] his first ice cream

AnitaW a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 7 21:07:19 PDT 2010

Sorry to be so late commenting on Gus getting sick after eating a small bowl
of ice cream, but I did want to comment.  I have always given all my dogs
all kinds of people food, including ice cream, and it hasn't hurt any of
them.  But I don't give them much at a time and I'm very careful about how
much fat they get.  The fat is very likely what made Gus sick, there's a lot
of butterfat in ice cream, it's what makes it taste rich and good, and
unfortunately it was too rich for him.  When we eat ice cream at our house,
the dogs get to take turns licking tiny little melted mini-bites from a
spoon, they probably end up getting about a tablespoon of ice cream each,
and not a heaping tablespoon either.  They love it (okay, Holly doesn't like
ice cream, but Holly hates everything so she doesn't count) and it makes
them happy but we don't have sick stomachs or end up with pancreatitis.

You really have to be careful not to allow them to overdo on fat.  Holidays
are dangerous for dogs for this same reason, too many fatty, rich food
scraps that they're not used to.  Mine always get bits of turkey and gravy
and veggies and all that, but in very small quantities.

Anita Woodrum

a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net