[Dailydrool] Polly's Gotcha Day!!

Maura DeYong mauradeyong at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 04:52:16 PDT 2010

WOW, I cannot believe a year has gone by since Polly escaped doggie jail and came to live with me. Happy Gotcha Day Polly!

Polly is a beautiful senior girl. We estimate her age to be around 13 years old. She was rescued by Basset Rescue of Florida from one of the high kill ACs here. She was dumped on the street to fend for herself and a good samaritan took her to animal control to get her off the street. Animal control held her for 10 days to see if the owner would show up to claim her and of course that didn't happen. So, Basset Rescue of Florida stepped in and I pulled her before the AC was going to put her down, and I brought her home with me. She smelled so bad I had to ride home with the windows down in the car. She could barely walk and was covered in fleas. The site of her was just pitiful. I brought her home thinking she wouldn't make it more than a week at the most. But we weren't going to let her die at AC by herself. No way!  We got her cleaned up, vetted, and on good food and medicine. She also had to have 16 teeth pulled due to infection. My vet says Polly
 has a heart murmur and congestive heart failure, but she is still with us after one year!!  My pack has accepted her and now she is one of them. Bringing a senior into my pack of three other dogs was the easiest dog to foster. They accepted her much more quickly than they did a younger dog. (Another good reason to foster a senior!!). We ended up adopting Polly after a couple of months.

Polly goes to the park with us a couple of times a week. Even though she suffers from arthritis, she likes to go and be part of the pack. She loves a good cookout on the grill, and sitting outside to look at the birds and sniff the air. She will roll in the grass with her feet to the sky, and if she's in the mood, in the evenings, she will try to sing to you, if you will sing along too. Although at death's door, Polly had a lot of life left in her. She seems content and happy to have a forever home.

As Pam said in her previous post, Basset Rescue of Florida has pulled 4 senior females to keep them from a certain death at the AC. I can picture them being exactly like Polly, in rough shape but having so much life left to live if given a helping hand to get back on track. Please give any amount that you can to go toward their vetting and care. Polly has opened my eyes to the wonderful world of seniors!   These girls deserve the same chance Polly was given, so help out if you can. Thanks so much!

Maura, slave to:

Sweet Polly Basset, Tank Bloodhound, Trixie Beagle, Belle Coonhound and
Pluto Basset ATB