[Dailydrool] Looking for recommendations for basset transportwagons (hand-pulled/pushed)

AnitaW a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 12 08:52:46 PDT 2010

My Gracie has a large dog stroller that I bought two years ago, and she
absolutely HATES IT.  She would just about rather die than ride in the
stroller, and honestly it's a royal pain to push and steer, so we don't use
it.  The problem is, it was advertised as being for dogs up to 70 pounds,
but it's not made for long dogs, so when Gracie sits in it her butt is in
the back but her front feet are almost hanging over the front edge, so she
feels like she's about to fall out.  I don't think the manufacturer actually
put a 70 pound do in the thing and pushed it or they would have known it was
too small.  Anyway, the stroller (which is actually a really nice, expensive
one) sits in the garage.

When Gracie damaged her ACL in January, she desperately wanted to go on
walks with us, but at first she could barely walk down the driveway, let
alone walk our usual couple of miles.  We have a red wagon with wooden sides
that's actually pretty large, so I put some blankets in the bottom to make
it softer and put Gracie in and pulled her on our walks while she was
rehabbing.  It works well and we still take it when the weather is hot and
humid, but I have to say that it took me several weeks to get used to
pulling a 64 pound dog in a wagon.  My chest and ribs hurt like crazy every
evening until the muscles got used to the unusual strain.  Also, the other
two dogs had to get used to us pulling the wagon, instead of walking ahead
and sniffing like usual, they put their tails down and walked as close to me
as they could, which was not good.  After about a week they decided
everything was okay and started walking normally again, which was a big
help.  Pulling the blasted wagon is hard enough without tripping over dogs
or trying to not let the wagon hit them.

I would definitely say that the wagon works really well once you get used to
pulling it with a bid old hunk of Bassett in it.  Expect chest muscle pain
for a week or two, be sure to alternate hands while pulling and stand up
real straight, don't hunch forward, it makes the muscle pain worse later and
messes with your back.  One other thing, expect to get lots of waves and
finger pointing and laughing from neighbors and strangers in cars,
apparently you look very comical pulling a big old dog in a wagon while
walking two more in front. Strangers have actually stopped their cars to
take photos of us.  If you'd like to meet more of your neighbors, pull a
Bassett in a red wagon.

Anita Woodrum

a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net

  _____