[Dailydrool] Strolling with Bassets

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed May 12 10:01:43 PDT 2010

We bought a really nice wagon for Llewis so he could attend the GABR Waddles
with us and not have to walk, since he has one rogue leg among other
problems.
I don't know what I was thinking. I have seen Bassets happily riding in
wagons and I guess I thought he would be happy in it. He bailed. We tried
training him to stay in it using treats. He bailed. We tried securing him in
with a tie down. He bailed.
I took the wagon to the Waddle anyway and started out with him walking and
when he appeared to be tired I put him in the wagon.
He bailed.
Instantly.
I had neglected to take into consideration his determination and grit, which
is eeee-normous. He walked the whole way, even tho his one foot was slightly
bloodied at the end from dragging on the cement.
I think I would do better with a bootie on the bad leg.
So you need to, apparently, train the dog somehow to stay in the vehicle.
(my dogs go berserk if I try to pull them in a crate into a dog show, as
well. I guess you have to start when they are puppies....)

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis (I CAN WALK, YOU KNOW) Conley and Cooper.