[Dailydrool] FAT bassets

froggie froggie0310 at bellsouth.net
Thu May 13 21:24:08 PDT 2010

My three bassets get 1 cup of food (measured with a kitchen measuring cup) in the morning and 1 cup in the late afternoon.  Murphy weighs 60 lbs (long and lean.)  Jeremiah the tripod weighs 40, as does Sweenie.  None is fat (Jeremiah can't be or there will be too much stress on his remaining hip and he won't be able to walk/hop.)  My vet commented that mine are the only bassets he sees who have maintained their weights for the past three years (except for going up as they got older--Murphy and Jeremiah are just 5) and the only ones who aren't fat/overweight.  Grandma the foster gets 2 cups twice a day and is still bony, but she's 13....

We got weight off fat fosters using green beans.

Susan and the Hoptown Bassets + 1
Murphy, Jeremiah and Sweenie + Grandma