[Dailydrool] Moving--Can't take Bassets

decadog at comcast.net decadog at comcast.net
Tue May 18 10:15:32 PDT 2010

That subject line gets attention. Sorry. Rescues hear it too often. Folks take their sofa, but not the dog. Just to disprove the moving-can't-take-dog theory, my better-half and I will be undertaking the Extreme Experiment--once again. Due to a new job we're moving back to Las Vegas from east Tennessee, traveling with #? dogs and 2 parakeets. I've censored the dog number to protect the innocent against LV animal control! But those of you who know me, well, you know the number! We've made this multiple pet move many times over the years, but I'm always nervous about it--for the dogs. It will take 4 days and 3 nights to get to Sin City. One dog will ride shotgun with his daddy in the U-Haul containing our belongings (consisting mainly of the dogs' favorite furniture and my "basset crap"). I will follow in the BUV, with the birds and the other dogs. We'll resemble the Joads, from the Grapes of Wrath. A chicken coop tied to the top of the vehicle would complete the picture. Getting settled into the motel at night is always a hilarious undertaking--but you don't laugh until much later, when the trip is over. Rest area stops get a variety of comments and stares. My personal favorite was from a couple of good ol' boys we encountered on our trip to Tennessee 2 years ago. They were standing outside their truck having a sandwich when we pulled up and started unloading the gang for a break. They just watched and made good-natured commentary about every dog that disembarked. "Look, that one ain't got no eyes" "That one's only got one eye" "Look, there's a fuzzy one", etc. But the comment that had me doubled over laughing was "it's just like a clown car, they just keep coming out". So true.

Basset Angels hovering over us as we head west on I-40 would be wonderful. Maybe some of the beloved ATB hounds could form a relay to cover our trip to Sin City, starting Monday, May 24th. If Fey-Fey could rally the troops, we'd appreciate it. Seriously, we feel blessed that we are able to take and keep all of our pets. So many people are struggling in this economy and sometimes make hard decisions that the rest of us can't comprehend. We just want to get to LV in one piece with happy dogs and feathered friends. Once we're in Vegas: ya'll come to see us now, ya hear?

Bassetly yours, Darlene and the Traveling Circus