[Dailydrool] Morse on the Run

Rebecca Stanton stumpypaws at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 20 05:36:24 PDT 2010

This happened a couple of weeks ago, and I have been sadly remiss in my duty as basset-slave in telling the story. It was a Thursday afternoon and Morse and I went for a walk in the meadow.  Dad-slave keeps telling me NOT to let him off the lead near the hedges 'because you know he'll run under them and you won't be able to get to him and he will eat cr*p'.  Of course, I thought that if he did run under the hedge, I would be quick and catch him before he got there.  Wrong.  He shot under the hedge like a caterpault and then stood munching on something hideous (no doubt a cat turd) in the middle of the hedge while I yelled at him and tried everything in my power to move him on.  Finally I saw him moving towards the far end of the hedge and I ran round to meet him.  I got there, and nothing.  He wasn’t there.  I looked in the hedge, got in to the hedge, started breaking it all down, got covered in brambles and throrns.  Where was he?  Was
 calling frantically.  Five minutes had passed, nothing.  I am running around, frantic, can feel hysteria starting, there is no sign of him anywhere.  Called dad-slave.  He only had to listen to the first few inaudible words mixed in with crying and he knew - he was there within a few minutes.  I called another friend and she came straight away too, with her 2 dogs.  Just calling and calling, and nothing.  We all were in separate places, spread about, just in case anyone caught a sight of him.  Finally I said I was going to head for home and see if he had turned up there.  By this time about half an hour had gone past, and I was just distraught.  He wasn’t at home.  I kept thinking that the last thing he would remember of me was that I was cross with him for eating cr*p.  I was in floods of tears as I walked down the road, calling for him.  Then I looked towards the field and one of the front gardens next to it, and there he was,
 sauntering into the front garden, obviously well within ear-shot of all of us, but just blandly choosing not to hear and do his own thing.  He saw me running towards him and gave a small wag that clearly said 'oh yikes, I am pleased to see you, but I think I may be in trouble'.  I just dropped to my knees and gave him the biggest hug, I was so overjoyed to see my boy again.  Couldn’t stop kissing him.  He was exhausted, and had obviously been running about and having a ball.  It was simply terrifying not to be able to find him.

Morse has been having some allergy problems and is on Piriton and Fuciderm, but is getting better now, and has had a gastric upset due to some turd he found (as always!) but is also getting over that now.  We send drool to all who need it.

Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB