[Dailydrool] Continued Prayers and Drool Needed For Stan

Bakken-Kleven, Jessica A JBAKKEN1 at Fairview.org
Fri May 21 16:38:29 PDT 2010

I am writing this with tears streaming down my face.  I believe Stan is near the end.  :*(  Massive prayers and tons of drool is needed now more than ever!

As many of you know, we brought him home from the vet yesterday after his 4 day stay after emergency surgery for an intestinal blockage where they cut out 3 feet of his intestines.

Yesterday when we brought him home, he was a happy boy, he ate a little of the "ID Diet" that the vet prescribed around 7pm.  At 12:30 a.m. he vomited it all back up.

This morning we tried the ID diet again, he wanted nothing to do with it so we forced some of it.  He again was fine until about 2 hours later when he vomited it all back up.

After that we couldn't get him to look at any food.  We have tried hamburger, his regular food, his younger sibling's food (because he always use to steal her food), the ID diet, some new Purina kibble that the vet gave us to try, my husband just ran up to the store to buy pumpkin...something I read online to try.

We had him back at the vet this afternoon.  They do not have a very positive outlook on our boy.  They believe he is rejecting the sutures but there is no way to know without opening him back up.

I am hesitant to put him through the pain of opening him back up when there isn't much they would be able to do for him if that were the case.

So, we opted to tonight take him home, make him comfortable and give it one last shot at eating.  I am at a point where I don't want to put him through anymore yet I want to give him a fighting chance at life.  :*(

My husband and I don't have children, our pets are our children.  Stan is the first pet we have ever had...this is the absolute hardest thing I have ever had to contemplate.  I don't know how long to let his little body try to work through this.  At what point is it cruel for me to continue to hold out hope?

I am sorry for the heavy, sad post.  Please keep prayers and drool coming for Stan in that he makes a miraculous recovery!