[Dailydrool] Another basset for rescue

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Fri May 21 17:14:23 PDT 2010

As if we hadn't spent enough on vet bills lately, Duncan Thefairlyuselessc at t
landed in the vet's today with a blocked urethra--lots of grit was blocking
the way, and he couldn't pass any pee. I took him to another vet, because
mine was out of town, then moved him to my vet this evening.

While I was awaiting our vet, a man came in to pick up two dogs--a beagle
and a basset. Both the dogs, who came out separately, ran up to me to smell
my crew on me. I swear they knew I was owned by bassets! Then the fellow who
was picking them up told me that they were his daughter's dogs, and she had
just had a second child and had to get rid of the basset. He was planning on
putting out a sign somewhere.

I warned him not to do that and steered him towards rescue. He seemed to
like the idea and was even willing to donate something to the rescue (I
wonder if they really were a daughter's dogs). I hope he really will go
through with it.

But my heart broke for this sweet, older hound. I'd have loved to take her
myself, which is of course ridiculous, with all the animals I have right now
and all the vet bills we've racked up. But I find it hard to imagine that
this sweet hound could have done anything to deserve losing her home.

Another hound loses a home because "we have a new kid and have to get rid of
the dog." I wonder how long they will keep the lovely beagle.

You'd think no one had two kids and two dogs. I just have to wonder what
this world is coming to. I hope this sweet hound finds a more wonderful
home.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets and Duncan Thefairlyuselessc at t, who
is at the vet's tonight