[Dailydrool] Food Allergies

Karen sparks_red at att.net
Sat May 22 15:26:00 PDT 2010

I have to agree with Laura about the diet for an allergy prone furkid.  You have to give the
the new food time.   Believe me the itching can/will get worse before it gets better.  Believe me
when I tell you Sadie Maye has put me through the wringer at times.  No corn, no gluten,
no soy, low salt, increased Omega 3 in her diet.  Allergic to grass.  YIKES!  Too much salt
will set on the itch response.

I found that the best thing to do is a strict elimination diet.  Luckily with foods I can tell when
Sadie Maye is having a reaction because the area just above her nose puffs with two big bumps.
I started out cooking for her and made unenhanced chicken with the lowest sodium possible.  I tried
adding rice, oatmeal, one at a time in weekly stages and found she doesn't tolerate grains.  The day
she snatched some corn on the cob and bread a week or so later she was miserable!  She tolerates
sweet potatoes and fruits but lives grain and soy free.

You also have to look at all your cleaning products including laundry products and air fresheners..
We use a lot of vinegar as well as steam to clean.  I use all hypo allergen products for laundry except
for a little bleach in my whites.  Then they are double rinsed.  I am not totally allergen free but
trying.  Also look at your yard as well as your close neighbors.  Do they use chemicals that blow over
in your yard?

My youngest daughter allergies helped prepare me for Sadie Maye's allergies.  (Now the youngest girl
furkid in the house.   Is there a pattern here?)  If you get frustrated I would suggest a canine nutritionalist.

Droolz,
Karen and The Dog House Gang