[Dailydrool] fluid pocket in ear

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Tue May 25 06:45:49 PDT 2010

I've had this happen a few times with our Little Girl ATB.  It is
correctly called earflap hematoma.  according to the vet, if left
untreated it can lead to scarring that results in a sort of cauliflower
ear.  He had us drain the ear twice a day with a large syringe and
needle.  A little icky but it didn't seem t bother her any.  It
would fill right back up afterwards, but eventually it went away and left
no scarring.  Some vets "put a button in the ear".
Not quite sure what that is.  I am inclined to thinkk they suture the
center area together to keep the area smaller.

Ear
flap hematomas can be caused by vigorous shaking of the head secondary to
ear mites or infection.  Or in bassets, we know they just like to
shake to get the drool flying.

crazy basset lady
(BTW, we
would accept some appliance drool for our washing machine that became very
ill during the night.  This is expecially disturbing because the
water softener went to the appliance bridge just yesterday.)

MAKE DROOL NOT WAR

Please take time to visit these websites:

Rebec Bassets at
www.rebecbassets.com
Basset Buddies
Rescue, Inc. at www.bbrescue.org