[Dailydrool] Our Elsinore's confusion

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Mon May 31 13:01:04 PDT 2010

I think I've figured out why our Elsinore failed so miserably on her
pet therapy retest. It must have been because I failed to enunciate.

This weekend Ken gave me a birthday card that has a cartoon drawing
of a woman with an irate face standing in front of a confused-looking
dog. Behind them is a sign that reads "Obedience School." Between
them is a small mound of steaming fresh dog poop. The woman, her
hands on her hips, is looking at the dog and saying, "No! I said SIT!"

On the retest I told Elsinore to "sit" beside me at heel, but I must
have mumbled the word and she instead heard me say, "drift," which is
what she got up and, right across my body and over to the "friendly
stranger" she was supposed to ignore.

Next time we take the test I'll be much more careful about speaking
clearly and distinctly to her, especially because I'd hate for her to
mistakenly hear me say what that obedient dog on my birthday card
thought he heard his human say!

Elizabeth