[Dailydrool] Young Charlie still isn't right

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Mon May 31 13:10:59 PDT 2010

So almost two weeks to the day since I took young Charlie to the vet
and got him on five days of Panacur and seven days of Pepcid-AC for
suspected worms, he's still not right. Thankfully he's eating again,
but he's still eating grass and he just doesn't have his old sparkle
back and he's starting to be somewhat self-segregating again.

Last night for the first time in weeks he brought me a toy to play
with, but I think that was only because my mother was here and he was
feeling the joy of that occasion. The actual playing with the toy
didn't last long, and he didn't want to jump up and try to catch it
or to run away with it so I'd chase him.

This afternoon Ken and I were looking at him and decided he's still
not right. The old joie de vivre isn't there, the merry twinkle in
the eye is gone. It's also been about a week since he's done anything
naughty. I'd like to think it's because the temperature has neared
"unreasonably hot" lately, but that's not it. I don't want to think
that it's because he's suddenly in the last month decided to be a
sedate and mature four-year-old. I love my YOUNG Charlie.

So tomorrow I'll give the vet a call and see if he can get us in
quickly. The last time we were there he said if Charlie didn't perk
up, he'd do some blood work to look for stuff, including Lyme
disease. I thought I'd draw on the collective wisdom and experience
of the Drool community to see if there's anything else I should
suggest the vet look for. I wish I had more concrete symptoms to
offer than reduced energy level and not being "right."

I'm also going to take our Elsinore with me (in for a penny, in for a
pound) because I've discovered two lumps on her. One on the back of
one of her haunches (like on the part she sits down on) and a smaller
on on her chest. They're probably nothing because bassets tend to get
lumpy-bumpy as they age, but the one time I don't have something like
this checked will be the one time I'll wish I had.

If it's not one thing to worry about in life, it's another!

Elizabeth