[Dailydrool] Fwd: FYI---BG Dog Food

basetsavr5 at aol.com basetsavr5 at aol.com
Tue Nov 30 14:03:56 PST 2010

Momma here, I am sharing this with you all not to start a dog food war here, but as information that may be useful, and make you aware. Those have always been the grounds of the Drool, helping others.
It was posted several weeks ago about changes in BG dog food--(Merrick, Before Grain Chicken)--the beach gang--minus Clara-has been on this for over a year, so when I heard of issues, the earflaps went straight up and off this food my hounds went. Immediate.
Now for the rest of the story.
I went to the food store and spoke with them and they indeed said they had folks with issues, and it so happened that while I was there the FDA called the owner to discuss this very thing. The store owner asked if I was willing to also speak with them which I did, I told them of Elwood ripping off his feet, his coat like a oil slick and then Jake loosing patches of fur.( I had checked with the store 3 months prior to ask if any changes since Elwood was having issues and there were no changes reported in the food at this time.) They took my name and number and said they would call me back. I also called Merrick and told them of the issue and asked them what they changed. I was told they made the change from chicken fat to animal fat as it is better for the dogs. I  even sat here and wrote it down as I spoke to them.  The lady was nice, and when I said I had removed my dogs from this brand and in 10 days Jake started getting fur again, she said wow--it sure is the food. She wanted to know all about how I found out and I told her it was a private web group and would not give her the group(DD) name. (She wanted that badly)  Then I hear they have told another that they changed to canola oil from chicken fat. Okay---what to believe--I dont know. There seems to be no consistent answer here--
The scary part of this is that the FDA has now called me 4 times, is setting up a appt to come and get my remaining food and take another report. My response to him was this has to be more than hair loss and chewing feet, someone tell me what is going on!! He said this must be investigated and this is what we are doing maam. So with that being said I will let them have some of my BG food-they can take it and test it. It just seems to me that with the FDA hot on my heels for my food --another report--and throw da Brudder in there--there must be something going on and quiet frankly, it scares me. We all do know I am a nervous nelly and can worry at the top of the charts--and hopefully that is the case here. This is a huge company that sells tons of food--lots of kinds--and I know they all make changes, but it is hard to shake the thoughts of what happened a few years back too.
So that is the story--information on this food, and what is happening so far. I will let you know after the visit, and hopefully have more info on this, but felt it was best to post in case someone else is having issues.
I am going to have blood panels done on the boys just to be sure, Daisy had one a month ago and is okay, but she gets more "Elder Clara" food than the boys and perhaps that is why she had no issues. I just dont know. How I wish I did.

Now, I am off to tell the Brudder I am off waddling without him this weekend--Carolina here I come!!

Drool to all in need

Debbie Winchester
PW, OEBE Elder Clara,
Elder Sister Daisy, Brudder Jake