[Dailydrool] Advantix

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 09:57:03 PDT 2010

I saw the recent convos about Frontline and Advantix and thought I'd share
what recently happened to a friend of mine. Taj is about 8 mos old and is a
Boxer/Catahoula Leopard dog. He had been on Frontline for quite awhile when
his mom started thinking it wasn't working as well.

I recommended Sentinel which is what we use. (It is a pill given monthly to
prevent fleas and heartworm - two birds, one stone.) But due to the cost of
Sentinel she decided to try Advantix first. She applied it according to the
instructions, placing 4 dots along his spine. The next day Taj was acting
very strange, jumping for no reason and acting as if a ghost was pulling on
his tail. She just thought he was being weird but wasn't sure why. A few
days later she noticed some flaky scabby skin on his fur and dug around to
find 4 large sores in the exact spots where she placed the Advantix. It was
as if the solution had literally burned a hole in his skin. She called
Advantix who denied ever hearing of anything like this, but her vet
disagreed saying they'd seen this reaction on numerous pets.

Luckily Taj's wounds are healing fine with a little cream and attention, but
it scared me enough that I just wanted to warn those of you who use topical
flea meds. Please keep an eye on the spots where you have applied it just to
be sure your dog doesnt have an allergic reaction or whatever it was Taj
had.

Drool to all,
Kacy with Cow and Ru