[Dailydrool] Circle of life: endings and new beginnings

Jaclyn Chancey jaclyn.chancey at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 16:49:01 PDT 2010

Six weeks after her diagnosis of terminal lung cancer, we helped Abbie to
the bridge on Saturday, October 2. She was an amazing trooper, enjoying life
long after we thought she would have given up. Some of you may have seen her
at Woofstock last month... she was so thin, and I was amazed at how happy
she always was! Finally, her appetite started to fade--and Abbie had always
been a food vacuum, especially on the prednisone--and she was having more
difficulty breathing. Her dad-slave Will, doggy brother Josh, and I took her
to the vet and stayed with her as she went to join her basset predecessors
Otis, Hannah, Jake, and Missy. Her passing was easy for her, but not as much
for the rest of us.

We had been looking for Josh's next companion since Abbie's diagnosis. We
knew we wanted a basset or basset mix that was on the small side and that
was good with dogs, cats, and kids. Coincidentally we found her on Petfinder
on Friday, October 1. The application process and reference checks all went
well, and Cleo arrived here from Tennessee today! She is settling in really
well, even rolling over to get a belly rub from Will a few minutes ago. She
has a lot of bassetude, and I think we'll be seeing more of it over the next
several days. Abbie can't be replaced, but Cleo is filling an important
place in our family and our hearts, and we really appreciate Good Dog Rescue
for bringing her to us.

Here's Cleo's Petfinder profile:
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17512604?rvp=1

I don't think the pics do her justice.  Must be that UT bandanna!  ;)  Here
are a couple of videos from earlier today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS2IjhvSjcg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVGnU3KP-xQ

Abbie is gone, but not forgotten. Here's her "greatest hit" video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZEctNtBqho
Let's just say I hope Cleo does NOT fill the "eating the couch" role.

Thank you again for all of your kind words, wishes, and Drool over the last
few months.
Jaclyn, Will, Cleo, and Josh