[Dailydrool] A Hound named Bufurd - ATB Tear warning

Basset911 at aol.com Basset911 at aol.com
Thu Oct 21 01:02:29 PDT 2010

Yes, it's another one of those "Dawn Stories".
Fair warning, get out the Kleenex.

Bufurd's story is a roller coaster and must be told beginning to end.
It's been several years now that a call came in from a vet hospital in
Riverside - a walk in client with a young male basset - had just sustained
multiple Mojave green rattlesnake bites.  Venom from a Mojave Green is a
neurotoxin and one of the most venomous snakes around. No anti venom is
available.  This particular client was poverty stricken and the vet knew we  had
some experience with alternative care.  He asked if we could  assist.  For 5
days almost hourly calls went back and forth giving  instruction on how to
care for this 2 year old female using vitamin therapy and  homeopathy. She
recovered exceptionally well.  A month went by and then a  call - "God must have
brought you to me, my husband is being transferred and we  are moving I
must give up ALL my basset babies".
In 5 days there was never a mention of another canine, let alone "All" the
bassets.  Arrangements were made. A frantic late night call alerted us that
 the female who had taken this strike was actually pregnant at the time of
strike, and was whelping. Something was wrong.  I would think so. We  had
the Firecracker pups just whelped that week, and so arrangements were made
to get this mom and pups to BHRSC, we sent our volunteer on down - and Gigi
called very shaken.  It turned out this property was a puppy mill and over
400 canines were living amongst rattlesnake carcass, in old tires with
chicken  wire over them and the conditions were horrible.

We went for a mom and 2 pups, we came out with 8 bassets, including 2  moms
with puppies.
Cinch with Lois and Viv were among this family.  The "Stud" was a
beautiful yet scared male whom was named Bufurd.  Bufurd had sired many,  many
litters and as horrible as this may sound, tonight it does my heart good to  know
that the wonder of Bufurd is still around.

One by one the hounds found homes, and yet Bufurd the shy gent stayed with
us.  Dr. Kim was very saddened today when we met for Bufurd's final visit -
 cancer had become malignant some time ago, and throughout the last year
Bufurd  has defied the grim reaper time and time again.  Aunt Sandi's visit in
 April had her saying.... He won't last the week.  Bufurd proved her  wrong
as only stubborn hounds can do.
His favorite game was to hide from his Aunt Rita and wait for Momma  Dawn
to come on up, he then cast Rita a glance and would gently walk into his  run
as if to say "So there!".  How the seniors wrap themselves  around our
hearts!  At bed time Bufurd always listened closely for his  bedtime song and
would not lay his head down until the last stanza and I made a  point of
adding - I love you truly, Bufurd, Dear.

The last week has been touch and go, and so it was today - en route to pick
 up our newest young man Hunter undergoing the Daphneyland Make-Over, that
Bufurd and I took a drive.  Aunt Rita had cooked him a steak, we stopped
for a double cheese-bacon burger with seasoned curly fries, the chocolate
mother  lode cake seemed to satisfy his appetite during our final special
lunch.  I broke at singing and could only whisper in his ear; I love you truly -
truly Bufurd.  I sent him off to the rainbow bridge with requests for all
our babies awaiting us there.

Dinner and close down was hard, as Wil, Phil, Maggie May, Louis and I
walked in the cloudy moonlight, I could not help but think of the ending of the
afternoon, my crying with tears of all that we had wanted for Bufurd, and
his  embracing life at Daphneyland - so happy to have a warm bed amidst
thunder,  lightening - running under soft summer stars, basking in the sunshine,
the glint  in his eye when he tore into a bag of trash and destroyed the
grooming room for  the 10th time, his climbing up a palet of kibble and tearing
into the bag  halfway up..... Eternally Bufurd.
Bufurd left my arms, I cried a bit on Dr. Kim, always my hero, and  then we
walked in to meet the young man Hunter.......

As a wonderful gent leaves, a new man walks in.
Thank you one and all for allowing us to continue the journey.  What a
learning experience the hounds give us every day, and in every way.

Candles burn bright for those gone before us, always in our hearts.
(and many on my mantle!!)
As I drove back from Dr. Kim's office, I began to sing... "When  you wish
upon a star..." and a pair of dark brown eyes looked at me with  wonder.  I
couldn't help but add "I'll love you truly, Hunter, Dear."

Dawn of the West
_www.daphneyland.com_ (http://www.daphneyland.com)
661  269-2682

Daily rehabilitation and socialization of up to 100 basset  hounds and some
mixes - public viewing and visitation are Saturdays &  Sundays from 11 - 5.
Come and rub bellies in person! Volunteer opportunities  abound!
DAPHNEYLAND IS CLOSED OCTOBER 24, 2010 FOR THE  BASSET HOUND PICNIC IN
ARCADIA PARK.
HUNDREDS OF HOUNDS IN COSTUME, WAGGING  TAILS, LONG EARS A DAY OF HOUNDS.
REGISTER AT _WWW.BHCSC.COM_ (http://www.bhcsc.com/)