[Dailydrool] DURALACTIN

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Thu Oct 7 15:09:43 PDT 2010

Marlene,
I have only used Duralactin in instances of arthritis.  It is supposed to support the immune system.  It added many months to the lives of the two dogs I have used it on, but I haven't ever used it for allergies even though I have had a total of eight bassets with allergies.  I am not sure how much success you will have with the duralactin in this instance.  The poor dog must be itching something fierce between the allergies and the staph.  I will tell you from personal experience with both that you want to rip your skin right off your body and when you manage to break open the skin and make it bleed, it feels MUCH better.

Have you thought about giving antihistamines at least until a hard freeze and/or the harvest is over and then waiting the prescribed time and THEN allergy testing.  I always try to do allergy testing in the dead of winter.  Even when the dog has food allergies and/or indoor allergies, you don't have to contend with the grass, weeds, trees and outdoor molds.

Sending drool your way,

Jennifer, mom to Beauford and Bugsey