[Dailydrool] found basset hound

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 10 15:06:21 PDT 2010

Sara while I somewhat understand your point, I can't agree with everything you are saying.
I have been rescuing critters since I can remember.   I reunited 100's of dogs with their owners,
some lived out their lives with me and others found new homes.

I always make flyers with a picture of the face, the area I found them and the date found.  There
are special things that I do leave off that are unique markings, a crooked tooth, etc that only the
owner will know.  Every animal has a unique characteristic that makes them unique.  I put these
flyers everywhere.  I notify animal control, the SPCA, Human Societies and lost and found ad in
the paper, use the internet lost pet sites, vets offices and have the pet scanned for a microchip.
I believe the more exposure you have the better your chances of reuniting a lost pet with their family.
If one of the gang was lost I would hope that someone would take the time to do the same for me.

I will never use the name of the dog they tell me during the call.  They have to meet me at a public place
where I watch the interaction between them.  I always thoroughly interview them to see if they really want
their pet back.   Sometimes I find that they really don't want them and though it may take awhile, like in
Ralphie's case of 8 months, I find that perfect family that will love them Furever.

As to letting them go to the pound.  That would absolutely be a very last resort for me!  Look how
the how the laws for some states are changing in regards to the holds on lost dogs before they euthanize.
Then you also have the disease that run rampant in pound situations.  BHS here in my county had
distemper run through just a few years back.  Many of those animals died.  Kennel cough and parvo
are now considered to be normal in these situation.  What is the chance that these dogs are going to
contract these diseases and the rescue pulling them are then going to be out thousands in medical bills.

I have asked our local SPCA to call me if they had someone bringing in a basset before they take it in the
back to a kennel.  I offered to foster at my own expense and was told NO.  They informed me that bassets
were usually adopted quickly. (Operative word here is USUALLY.)  The longer a animal is in a kennel, the higher
the exposure risk to disease.   In my mind would it not be better for the basset to be in a loving home, not
exposed to diseases, then possibly die of kennel cough,parvo or worse?   I even offered to bring in great photos and
bring the basset in if there was interest and still NO.   The only time I could pick up a basset if it were unadoptable,
if GGBR was accepting it or I was adopting the basset myself.  GRRRRR.

Yes I realize that we all take a risk when we bring in an a homeless animal to our home but that is what rescue
is all about.  We do what we can to protect our babies at home and deal with it.  How many of us have gone to shelters,
puppy mills, people homes, etc. and have no idea what state of health these rescues are in or diseases they have,  not
to mention the psychological damage we will be faced with?  Is it really any different than the lost or homeless pet
wandering the street?  They all need love and care.  That is what we that rescue do.  We take those risks willingly
to give those we rescue a chance at Life and Love.

Stepping off my soapbox....
Karen and The Dog House Gang
(whewwwweee dat Momma onna rant huh?  we bedder take we a liddle nappy fur a bitty bit.)